kythera family kythera family


General History

History > General History > Double Wedding at Armidale NSW

History > General History

submitted by Peter Makarthis on 15.06.2011

Double Wedding at Armidale NSW

DOUBLE WEDDING AT ARMIDALE

St. Peter’s Cathedral, Armidale, was crowded with guests and onlookers, when two sisters were married according to rites of the Greek Orthodox Church at a spectacular double wedding on Wednesday last 20 August 1947.

The sisters were Elleni Sourry and Katina Sourry, daughters of Mrs. J. Sourry of Uralla, and the late Mr. Sourry. Bridegrooms were Mr. George Dedes, of Gunnedah, and Mr Angelo Zerefos, respectively.

The Very Revd. M. Nikolaids, D.D., L.L.B., of the Greek Cathedral, Sydney, officiated at the ceremony.
The brides, who wore traditional bridal white, were each attended by a bridesmaid and flower girl. Bridesmaids were Miss Effie S. Sourry, of Armidale, and Miss Mattie Masselos of Taree, and flower girls were Elleni Zerefos of Sydney, and Maria Tzannes of Deepwater.

The best men were Mr. Peter Venardos and Mr. Mick Vernardos, and groomsmen, Mr. Con Sourry and Mr. S. Masselos.
A feature of the reception, which took place in the Town Hall, was the unusual double wedding cake. The cake was baked by Sourry Brothers Armidale, and iced by Mr. Charles Sourry of Armidale. Made with a common base, the cake had two columns of three tiers, and weighed 95 lbs.

Another attraction were handmade ice cream cakes presented by Peter’s Ice cream, which each weighed 30lbs., the colour chosen being magnolia in keeping with the brides’ outfits
.
Four hundred guests attended the reception, including Mr, and Mrs. Theo Psaros, Miss Poppy Psaros and Master Jim Psaros of Andrew Street (Inverell), and Mrs. H. Fardouly, with daughters Dorothy and Helen of Otho Street (Inverell).

Inverell Times

Researched
Peter 'Skoulandris' Mc Carthy
Inverell, NSW, Australia
15 June 2011

Leave a comment