submitted by Kytherian Newsletter Sydney on 11.02.2006
The Society of Kytherian Studies is organising the 8th International Panionian Conference to be held in Kythera from 21-31 May 2006.
This prestigious conference is being held for the very first time on Kythera and will bring to the island more than 200 academics, writers and speakers who will cover many of the following areas of interest to Kythera and the Ionian Islands:
1. Archaeology: archaeological research, protection &
restoration of monuments, industrial archaeology, society & archaeology.
2. Architecture - Urban Planning: architectural identity of the Ionian Islands, representation & interpretation of landscape, urban development, construction techniques & building
3. History: historical sources, public & local archives, historiography, local history.
4. Institutions - Constitution - Public Administration:
established churches, religious denominations, education, law & jurisprudence, state & citizens, individuals & society.
5. Folklore-Social Anthropology: Folklore & anthropological research, popular religion, common law.
6. Society and Economy: family, class system, class struggle, demographic data, land property, land cultivation & transport of goods, production & processing, shipping, other economic activities, statistical research.
7. Culture and Civilisation: history of ideas, ideological trends, philosophy, natural theology, fine arts, literature, theatre, film & television.
8. Natural and Human Environment-Ecology: sound & reasonable management of environment & natural resources.
The Ionian Islands have always occupied a special place in modem Greek history and in many respects stand apart from mainland Greece in light of the strong Venetian and British influences on the island when the rest of Greece was under Ottoman occupation. Many of our Kytherian traits and customs can be directly traced back to that heritage.
This most important conference will focus on the latest academic studies and research and will add to the growing body of knowledge on the rich tapestry of the social and political history, culture, archaeology, folklore and the built and natural environments of the Ionian Islands in general and Kythera in particular. It is deserving of our support.
It is hoped that there will be observers and/or participants from the Australian Kytherian community who can attend this epoch-making conference.
The name Kalogridis is associated with the Name Fardoulis and is found in the Potamos area of...
Please register by clicking here: https://forms.gle/DgiSWiH3ZDoUqxbK6
Saturday, March 11 / Sunday, March 12, 2023 (Australia)
Saturday, March 11,, 2023...
I am Anna Comino from Mackay QLD and I remember meeting a Jim Comino and...
About 5 minutes into the program Ada Margariti, who is an Attorney at Law, speaks about how she came to...
Interviewed during his visit to Australia, 2013.
August 17, 2010
103.2 HOPE - radio station
You’ve heard of PhDs in science, medicine and education but have you...
Brisbane kytherians at paliochora excursion ..exploring the wonderful site and seeing all the churches .. this one is called ' e...
Gorgeous Ruby! Ruby's father was Evangelo Megaloconomos born 7 September 1891, died 29 January 1983
Ruby was born 16 September...
10.03.2023 (Message Board)
10.02.2023 (Message Board)
01.02.2023 (Message Board)
I am from Kytherian Genealogy Project and we have been researching Kytherian family history for over 10...
I am looking for relatives and information about Yanos (could be Yani) Cassimatis who was born on...